| Years Produced:
| Number Produced:
| Engine Type:
|| 12 cyl. mod.567
| Horse Power:
| T&NO : 72
The EMD NW2 is a 1,000 hp (750 kW), B-B yard switcher locomotive manufactured by General Motors Electro-Motive Division of La Grange, Illinois.
The NW2 was manufactured from February, 1939 to December, 1949, and 1145 were produced – 1121 for the U.S., and 24 were exported to Canada.
Starting in late 1948 the NW2s were manufactured in EMD's Plant #3 in Cleveland, Ohio. The 1,000 hp (750 kW) was achieved by using a 12-cylinder, model 567, and later, a model 567A engine. In addition, 3 TR cow-calf paired sets, 36 TR2 cow-calf paired sets, and 2 TR3 cow-calf-calf sets were produced. The TR sets were built prior to World War II and the TR2 and TR3 sets were built postwar.
Roadname specific model features:
• Conical smoke stacks
• Distinctive striped paint scheme
• Phase 1 riveted Airtanks
NW2's distinctive twin-stack profile and short radiator creating a distinctive silhouette.
Perhaps ironic, considering its 1000 horsepower engine, the N in NW2 stood for nine hundred horsepower, with the W designating that it was a welded frame locomotive, instead of a cast frame.
The Southern Pacific introduced the NW2 to its yards along with a few other 1000 hp switchers in 1942, their first diesel switchers and a replacement for the 0-6-0 steam locomotives running their yards at the time.
Diesel switchers such as the NW2 offered low speed, high tractive effort while still exerting 30,000 pounds of tractive effort at 10 mph.
Preserved SP EMD NW2 Switchers (by John Komanesky):